Monday, August 20, 2012

The Deftones gave me a concussion

The Deftones have long been one of my favorite bands.  3 of my top 5 fuck songs are from The Deftones.  When they showed up in Louisville at Expo 5 a while back I nearly lost my shit.  I had seen them in large venues before but never something so intimate as a building that resembles a converted dual-prop airplane hanger.  They played an awesome show despite Chi Cheng being in a coma and the horrible reviews that their new album had been getting.  There's something about songs like MX, My Own Summer, and Change in the House of Flies that sends me into a trance like state and for some reason makes me want to move my head up and down very quickly and repetitively.  The large amounts of beer helped as well.

AWESOME SHOW!  I drove home...  Shit.  Some dumb asshole thought it was a good idea to have the  fucking Deftones concert on a Tuesday night; I had to work the next day.  I worked at a small computer store at the time.  I was supposed to close the shop by myself that night and so I did.  Accept I kinda felt weird all day.  I had a not normal headache (I have headaches all the time) and felt really tired all day.  Come to think of it; that day did seem to fly by pretty quickly considering...  So 7 o'clock rolled around and I closed shop, got home, and went to bed.

The next day was my day off...  I was working on my side business as a technical consultant on Thursdays and this morning I had a meeting with a client.  I was driving there when my phone rang...  My boss from the computer store with a really concerned - suspicious tone:
"You closed last night; right?"
Me - "Yeah... What's up?"
"You set the alarm and closed the door...right?"
Me - "Yeah... I mean I would have... Why?"
"Well; the back door is sitting wide open..."
Me - "Shit... Do you think someone broke in?"
"Don't know I have to go check it out; are you sure you closed to door?"
Me, now questioning myself - "I mean... I would have..."

We got off the phone... and I thought... Did I close the door?  Did I set the alarm?  Wait... Did I do any of the paperwork last night?  Did I count the drawer?  Of fuck... I don't remember driving home.  How the fuck did I get home last night?  I remember being at the store and deciding it was time to go home and I remember going to bed, but everything in the middle is gone!  Had to be The Deftones...  I banged my head so hard that my brain literally got knocked from one side to the other.

I called my boss back.

Me - "Dude...  I think I have a concussion."
Boss - "What do you mean?"
Me - "I don't remember driving home last night.  I may have left the door open.  I don't know what I did."
Boss - "Yeah. The alarm isn't set and nothing is done."
Me - "I think I should go to the hospital."
Boss - "Yeah... You should."

I got off the phone and thought about it for about two seconds.  I might have a concussion causing memory loss and no telling what else.  I've already broken the golden rules of treating concussions... Slept for 14 hours...  Drank a shit load of water... Coffee...  I was driving while talking on the phone.  So I thought; hospital?  No; fuck that...  I have shit to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment