Monday, September 24, 2012

I know more about you from the size of your shoes

I like puzzles.  Things that are unclear and are hard to figure out.  My brain's default mode is somewhere between the meaning of life and the nature of the universe.  At least there's music to help quiet the chaos.  I also love analyzing people.  It's so natural to me that I don't even notice when I'm doing it.  You combine those two facts - the puzzles and the people analyzing and that makes for one particularly interesting thing - me trying to meet women...

You know you can tell a lot about a person by the shoes they wear.  Not just shoes, but clothes in general.  I like starting with the shoes because they hold come particularly interesting insights about a person - usually.  Does this girl dress for comfort or for looks? Are her shoes clean, polished, brand new?  Does she use her shoes as feet covers or does she make an effort to show them off?  Is she wearing boots - how high are the boots on her leg? Do they have heels?  Is she wearing heels?  What color are they?  Do they match her outfit? Is she wearing heels with jeans?  Of course you have to consider context...  Is she at work? Do her shoes relate to her job in some way? Yeah so it sounds weird, but I don't think about all of this every single time I meet a girl.  It only takes a couple of seconds.

School is a good setting, because we have a lot of choice in what we wear. I see a girl wearing old sneakers.  They're dirty and worn, but within social parameters of acceptableness.  She wears relatively new clothes; things like band tee shirts and relaxed jeans.  Some of her jeans have fringes on the bottom of the legs from dragging on the ground a little bit.  Pretty much no matter what else she's wearing she has on those same shoes.  It's because they're comfortable and she loves them.  She is a function kind of person, but also a tad sentimental. Works toward purpose rather than gain.  Probably introverted. Probably a thinker.  She was poor or not very well off when she was young, and her parents showed her -probably by example- how to work with what she's got.  For her, you add in some outward strength that was covering up her insecurity and I hit that nail on the head.  Interesting person...

Attitude comes into play after that, but its not hard to figure that out within a very short time during a conversation. I met a girl who one day started wearing a hat.  Funny little hat.  Turns out that her job was making everyone wear hats - understandable since she works in food service. But she wasn't wearing the same hat as everyone else.  Don't think for a second I didn't notice that like the moment I walked into the shop.  To me, before we even spoke, that said - she didn't want to wear the stupid ass hat that they wanted her to wear.  That gives me some interesting chimes into her personality.  It's possible she doesn't give a fuck about her job and 'fuck them I'm gonna wear my own fucking hat' <-- descriptive enough?  On the other hand it's quiet rebellion.  What's the worst they're gonna do? Make you put on the other hat...  Either way that girl's got some attitude.  Genuine fire...  Maybe some authority issues.  I bet she had an interesting childhood.  Yeah - I had to talk to her. (Did I mention I fucking fail at talking to women? - example - um, concert tonight um, you go, um, me, um...  The words are there - obviously, fucking look around - nerves man...what a bitch...)

Which brings me to the puzzles...  Oh man it's a bad thing for me when I'm confronted with a puzzle that I can't solve; NOT...GOING...TO...HAPPEN...  Here's a puzzle for you...  How do you take this vast amount of knowledge about human behavior, sociological and anthropological nuances, shake in the ability to read people's emotional state (yeah I'm like a real version of that Dr. Lightman guy on 'Lie to Me' accept not fake) - and turn that into me getting a date with hat girl, or shoe girl - or any woman for that matter.   FYI - yes I know their names and talked to both of them - shoe girl was years ago...  I'm sure they both thought I'm a really nice guy, maybe a little weird, and that's why they were extremely polite when they turned me down and/or lied to my face when I asked them out on a date...  It's hard to walk away from that one.  I suppose it would be easy if I was a complete ass-hole and used what I know to manipulate people into getting what I want.  I'm sure there's some kind of balance or something that I'm not considering that makes this make sense.

Yeah, maybe its weird that I know more about these people from the combined 10-20 minutes of conversation that we had then most people will ever know about them.  I've tried to turn it off really...  I don't think pick up lines like "Hey I've been watching you for a couple minutes and I bet I can describe aspects of your personality with about 90% accuracy." actually work...  Though I can tell ladies their bra sizes and what kind of underwear they have on - have to be careful with that one :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment