Monday, November 26, 2012

Remember the van and the wasps?

A lot of families can say that they are "tight."  A lot of families can say, "we've been through some shit together."  A lot of families can say, "we've been to Hell and back together."  I can definitely say that my family is weird.  We are tight, because we have been though some serious shit together.  We actually laugh about Hell when we get together.  That doesn't stop us from getting angry at each other.  That doesn't stop us from getting stressed out.  I can look at my mom - and then look at my sister - and know - these are two people who, like me, know what it's like to have life throw shit in your face.

We didn't say "Happy Thanksgiving" the entire time we were together this week.  We hugged - tightly - and said - "damn, it's so good to see you."  We all thought about the stressful shit that we were bickering about, but we didn't bring it up.  We all were feeling the stress of the recent crap that's been going on in our lives, but we tried our damnedest to keep it bottled.  Though I think I failed at this, as I wasn't feeling too happy shiny.  I feel sorry for being stressed out.  It's not the attitude I've been trying to have and it's not how I wanted to treat my family.  I don't get to see them enough to spend my time with them feeling like crap.

We did have fun though.  I don't get to talk to many people the way I get to talk to my mom, my sister, and my brother in law.  They are more open minded than your average bunch, and when I say something - for the most part - I'm pretty sure they're going to understand it.  Of course we don't get into deep conversations about particle physics or spacial 4 dimensional perspective shifts (though that almost happened).  We talk about global social issues, history, philosophy, the human condition, my sister's unending stubbornness toward people in general, my unending will to put other people's needs ahead of my own, culture, politics, etc.  I love it.  Every second of it.  Even the parts that piss us all off because sometimes we are so much the same that we are so incredibly different and we bump heads.

I can't tell the whole story of my family yet - not today.  Just know that we don't fall into a category.  Chris Titus said it best when he said that the difference between 'normal' people and people who have been through some shit is that when shit is about to hit the fan... people who have been hit by the shit before know - to move the FUCK out of the way.  This is my family.  We are a group of hyper perceptive, stubborn ass, open minded, talkative, story telling, ~probably~ crazy people.  You can't get away with much around us :P we've seen it all - done most of it.  We love the hell out of each other.  We've seen what it's like to be at the bottom of the barrel together.  We've come back from some seriously fucked up shit together.

I love you guys.
Uncle Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment